Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Saunders physical therapists treat all disorders of the musculoskeletal system: bones, joints, muscles, nervous and connective tissues. We use hands-on techniques to decrease inflammation to relieve pain. We are experts at detecting movement disorders and muscular imbalances, which are often the root cause of many painful disorders – especially the problems that last a long time or keep coming back. We focus on long-term resolution of symptoms and self-management to decrease costs and encourage independence.
Examples of the most common problems we see include:
- Shoulder tendinitis and rotator cuff injuries
- Tennis elbow, elbow, wrist and hand sprains and strains
- Brachial plexus injury and thoracic outlet syndrome
- Hip bursitis, arthritis and tendinitis
- Knee sprains and lower extremity muscle strains
- Ankle and foot sprains and strains
- Pre and post-surgical rehabilitation for all of the above
Our treatment philosophy includes the following:
- Musculoskeletal Evaluation: A thorough evaluation will be performed on your initial visit to assess for possible muscle imbalances, myofascial restrictions, joint dysfunction, and nerve involvement that may be contributing to your symptoms. A specific plan is then developed. If you are seeing us after a surgery, we work closely with your physician to restore range of motion, strength and function safely.
- Manual Therapy: Our therapists all have advanced training in manual therapy, a hands-on approach that addresses restrictions in the soft tissue, myofascial system, and/or joints to facilitate a healing environment.
- Physical Modalities: Modalities, such as heat, cold, ultrasound, and electrical stimulation are used to help with pain control as needed, but are soon replaced by a focus on progressive exercise and functional activities.
- Exercise and Return to Function: At the appropriate point in your treatment, exercises and functional activities will be progressed as tolerated. You will do many of these activities at home or at a health club with rechecks as necessary to progress you safely back to full function. Each patient’s plan of care is individualized to what is needed for the best outcome possible.
Expected Outcomes: Depending on severity, the number of visits can range from 2-8, with the average being 6.
Physical Therapy Treatment for Orthopedic Injuries - Saunders Therapy Centers Can Help!