Hand Therapy at Saunders
Hand Therapy focuses on the rehabilitation of the hand, wrist, forearm and elbow. The hand is essential for work, sports and everyday activities. Whether using a computer, exercising or swinging a hammer, a pain free hand is key to full function.
Our hand therapy treatment approach includes:
- A Musculoskeletal Evaluation: Our hand therapists will evaluate the individual’s pain and dysfunction and determine the underlying causes.
- Manual therapy: Joint and soft tissue mobilization to improve flexibility, promote healing, decrease muscle spasm, and improve overall upper body efficiency with performing activities.
- Neuromuscular Re-education Training: This includes performing hands on resistive training or other activities to improve your body’s awareness and muscle control.
- Function-specific Training: Appropriate interval training programs including gripping, throwing, or other needed functional activities.
- Braces/Splints: For appropriate return to activity, we may recommend specific splints for injury protection.
- Education: The client should understand the underlying activity or musculoskeletal problem contributing so they can manage and prevent further injuries.
Common injuries treated include:
- Carpal Tunnel/Nerve compression
- Trigger finger
- Tennis Elbow
Expected Outcomes: Depending on severity, the number of visits at Saunders Therapy Centers can range from 2-10, with the average being 6.